St. Francis Assisi Higher Secondary School is a formidable force to be reckoned with when it comes to Higher Secondary Educational sector. The century past institution is unique, the students and teachers of the school lead a life dedicated to curricular and co-curricular excellence.
The school ensures that the students inculcate the Christian values. Management and school focused on delivering a method of education that helps the students to excel in technical, personal and academic levels.
Meeting of the staff was held in the last week of March 2011 to discuss on the projects to be implemented under the second five year plan. The projects were assigned to respective teachers. Mr. Joby K Mathew was assigned the staff secretary. A motivational seminar for the teachers was held on the first week of June by Fr. John Puthenvettil .
The PTA presided by Mr. Benny Pazhampasseril extends their whole hearted cooperation to the schools functioning. We are gratefull to the PTA in sponsoring 60 chairs for the media room .They also meets the expenses of youth festival, sports and other festivals
Highlights of the year
ü The school achieved 99.6% for HSS March examination.
ü Initiation of ELC – English language class
ü First in Revenue District sports meet
ü First in Sub district Kalolsavam
ü Second in over all Sub district Work experience mela
ü First in Diocese Costal Science Congress
ü Best HSST of Corporate management Alleppey diocese _ Mr’s Geetha.v
ü Overall championship in Alleppey diocese cultural forum
ü Initiation of grand master program.
- The construction of the new computer lab was completed with financial assistance from MLA Sri. P. Thilothaman.Its inaugural function took place on August 7th by the benefactor himself.
The classes for the academic year 2012 started special classes for students of XII during first week of May. From June forth onwards regular schedule of classes was put to effect with the morning session beginning at half past eight. The first year classes began on 29th June. The students were given motivational classes on various topics by the teachers as well as from invited experts.
Teachers take special effort to make best use of the facilities of the media center.
In order to monitor and upgrade the academic progress of the students, monthly and terminal test are being conducted. The poor performers are encouraged to better themselves by the remedial team.
Upraise meeting for the 2nd year student’s parents was held on 28th September to present the current status of their performance.
Our teachers participated very actively, in the prayer day observed by the Corporate Management at St. Augustans’ church, Mararikulam.
It fosters the reading habit of the students. Library books are being issued to all students every day. Mr. Paul Santhosh manages a very good library and reading room with all the major newspapers and magazines.
- Arthunkal village co-operative bank and Manorama Cherthala Unit sponsors Malayala Manorama for each of the fourteen classes.
- We celebrated the Vayana Dinam. Following the Vayanadinam celebrations on June 19th various competions where held in connection with Vayanavaram.
- On July 3rd we celebrated the Vayanakkalary.
- We are very much grateful to Palm Fiber for their benevolent sponsoring of nearly 400 books to the library .The same was handed over to the school in a function attended by the managing director and the CEO of the firm.
We started taking the remedial measures early. Special attention is given to the weak students in the evening sessions. Students are also made to sit up to 5.30 pm.
Quiz, debate & Seminars:
A council under the leadership of Mr. Paul Santhosh conducts quiz, debates and elocutions for the students.
- On September 4, two teams participated in the Bharat Quiz Competition conducted by St. Martin Unit Cherthala. Arun A O (+2) and Jesil Jose (+1) of team 1 got Rs. 1001 cash prize, trophy and certificates. Team 2 also got fourth place.
- On September 13, J.C.I. conducted an Interschool quiz competition in our school. Sanil P.T and Jesil Jose of our school got first prize worth of Rs.1000.
- Arun A O and Jesil Jose got second price in HSS section in Aleppey diocese quiz competition held on January 14th 2012.
- Jesil Jose and Sanil P.T got first place in allappey diocese cultural forum quiz competition.
Special emphasis is given to the learning of English& anglicizing the campus. As part of our cherished dream in equipping our students to excel themselves in their future prospects, we have introduced a communicative English class under the name ‘English Language Class from June onwards .Two faculties Mrs Princy Jose & Mr Tony Mathew handle the class.
A competition of class magazines was held under the guidance of the class teachers. Work on the school manuscript magazine is being proceeding.
The collective effort of the teaching staff strives to maintain a tranquil atmosphere in the campus. They have grouped together the local community members too, to form the School Protection Group.
Co curricular activities:
- Ten students from each of the science classes were selected to be form the core team of the science club.
- To gear up for the forth coming Sub district Science fest, a class wise competition was held for all the items as stipulated in the science manual.
- The team which won the first place was selected and groomed further by the project coordinator for participation in the Diocesan Costal Science Congress.
The SFAHSS team won the first place. The same team went on to participate in the Sub district Science Congress and accorded a plan among the first 5 teams of the 19 teams participate . The HSS team participated in the State Balashastra Congress held at Kollam.
As part of the International Year of Chemistry a seminar on food adulteration was presented by Mohanan Vaidyar. Various articles on the intricacies of Chemistry were displayed periodically on the school notice board. The concluding ceremony of IYC was inaugurated by P.Thilothama M.L.A on December 2011 followed by a science exhibition conducted by the students and presented to the whole school.
We give special attention to train the sports stars of our school. The students’ train everyday till 5.30 pm after the class.
- We got overall championship in Cherthala Sub-district school meet, held at St. Francis Assisi HSS Arthunkal on 14,15,16th November 2011.
- We got Hat trick overall Championship in Alappuzha Revenue district school meet held at Carmel Polytechnic, Alappuzha on 24, 25 and 26th November 2011.
- In the State meet four sports stares excelled themselves and are eligible for grace marks.
All the credit goes to our physical education teacher Mr. Roshan Lukose.
- We participated excellently in Amateur athletic meet held St. Michaels college cherthala on 29, 30 September 2012. We achieved an overall second place in the meet.
Art & Culture:
The committee on art and culture identifies and develops the artistic talents of the students. The School Arts Fest 2012 was held on the first week of August. The fest was inaugurated by Mr. Baiju Ezhupunna
The school miraculously unseated Holy Family HSS Muttom long standing claim on the sub-district trophy to bag the first place in sub-district 2011-12. 46 students participated in various 26 items.
In District level competitions, Student represented in 10 items and got 8 A grades including Ist A grade in Light Music.
Ajay Joseph got A grade in light music at State level.
Work Experience and Social Science Fest
Sub district level
The school participated in Sub district Work Experience held at Govt.H.S.S. Thirunelloor on Nov 24, 25 in 18 items, of which 16 events were variously graded.
The school secured -:
1. Second place in the Over All Section with 66 points.
2. Second place in on the spot competitions.
Revenue district level
The school participated in Revenue district Work Experience held at Govt.Girls H.S.S Cherthala on December 1st in 8 items of which 4 events were variously graded.
Students squared one B grade and two C grade.
Nearly 20 students are now registered under the St.Michaels College NCC unit. The students regularly part take in various activities.
National Service Scheme:
The NSS unit is a remarkable presence that fosters social commitment among the students. The World Environment Day, Hiroshima Day, Sathbhavana Day, World Ozone Day, and N S S day were also observed. NSS awareness and orientation programme to the first year volunteers were given (August 2- 10). Independence Day flag hoisting and rally was observed with fervent patriotism.
- Krishikoottam- A small roof top vegetable garden and tapioca field has been setup as part of “School Vegetable garden Project” within the HSS campus.
- Clean campus programme was a great success due to the jointed effort of the NSS Volunteers.
- Care and share – The volunteers imbibing the true spirit of the X’mas season gave away new cloths and a tidy sum to selected terminally ill persons of the local community.
- A seven day annual camp, held at the Presentation LPS ,Chennaveli on 26th December 2011 to 1st January 2012 was inaugurated by Sri. Anilkumar (President Cherthala South Gramapanchayath).
- A coastal cleanup program held on September 21st was inaugurated by Sri. Sri.Anilkumar S, Panchayath President
- Old age home visit and onam celebration along with them on August 24th 2012 was a heart whelming experience…
- A rally against the use of plastics was taken out by the students; awareness on the same was given on door to door basis along with pamphlet conveying the message.
- International Costal Sanitation day 2012 was celebrated under N.S.S. An awareness programe was held and the N.S.S volunteers with the teachers and students cleaned-up Arthunkal beach and collected non bio degradable waste of about 15 sacks.
KUTTUKARKORU VEEDU: Dream project of 2012
The whole school ,teachers students and parents are whole heartedly engaged in the construction of a home for the family of Sebastian koyilparambil and late Margarita koyil parambil, whose three daughter are students of our school .The finance for the same was procured in various means like collection and selling of old newspapers by the students by which we got nearly sixteen thousand rupees ; preparing and selling pickles, jams coconut honey etc; as well as contributions from philanthropists’. The foundation stone ceremony of the house was on July 4, the concrete roofing was took place on September 29th.
The support of the management and the P T A in the activities of N. S. S. deserves special mention.
The students actively participated in a novel initiative in collaboration with
Mathrubhumi. Seed has plans for preparing a report on the trees in the locality.
One student one crop:
This project was started from 2006 onwards in our school. It is to create love towards nature, interest in agriculture and hardworking mentality. In connection with the festival of Arthunkal church we harvest crops and we display them all in a stall with other products of the school like paper carry bags, lotions hand washes and painted sari’s. This year also almost all students stared there agriculture and hope for the best harvest.
As recommended by the department of Higher Secondary Education a “Sauhrida Club” was launched and inaugurated by Dr. Santhosh Thomas, Govt. Arurveda Hospital Areeparambu on December 2012. Dr. Cristeena John Pediatrician, St. Sebastians Hospital Arthunkal, delivered a talk on “Adolescence Health Issues”. The club activity aims to mitigate the problems faced by the adolescents in this modern age.
The club activities try to instill social commitment and business acumen. The club has set up a honesty shop in the campus, which functions during the working hours. It trains the students in manufacturing of paper carry bags, detergent and floor cleaning lotions. The club also proposes to visit industries and interviews successful entrepreneurs.
Value education & spiritual formation:
The fourth period of each Wednesday is set apart for imparting moral &spiritual values. We zealously uphold the tradition of reciting the Holy Rosary in October, the time for which is edged out from the afternoon interval. Holy Mass is celebrated every month. We renovated our prayer room artistically.
Environmental &Cleanliness Council:
We maintain a beautiful garden in front of the school ranging from colorful flowering plants to those of medicinal as well as economic value.
The tourism club active with 30 members from the first year classes .The club helps the students to realize the immense potential of this industry. On September 27 world tourism day a seminar on tourism and sustainable energy was presented.
Career Guidance and Educational Counseling:
August 1 , national career guidance day was acknowledged in the school assembly. In relation to the celebration we conducted a career awareness programme for the +2 students.
A power point presentation regarding different job opportunities, courses, entrance exams and different institutions was presented for the science, commerce and humanities students separately.
The school has registered itself with the malayala manorama project nallapadeam. All the activities of the various clubs in the school are done with active collaboration, with the teacher co-oridinaters of the nallapadam project.
Observation of important days and Celebrations:
Teacher’s day was celebrated with an august function commemorating Dr. S Radhakrishnan. True to the spirit, the teacher’s marked the day by selflessly participating in the construction of the dream project kuttukarkoru veedu.
A committee ensures that all of the auspicious days are aptly accorded with .The First year’s were given a grand welcome on 29th of June.
It’s a novel program designed by the school management for the development in academic and creative input of the student’s .the movement and activities of each of the second year classes are observed and evaluated by a team. Eventually the best class and the best student for the academic year 2012-13 will be selected based on the assessment.
As educationalist our primary aim is bring out the best and the overall development in our wards. Having achieved a phenomenal success of 99.6 % in March 2012 exams and the excellence in the co-curricular arenas, particularly the bagging of the first place in both the arts and sports sub-district level has instilled more impetuous, zeal and confidence in us.. We thank Almighty and all others who stood by us in our arduous efforts.